NOW Environmental Services will be happy to come to your residence to test for mold if you are a renter however, you should read the following before scheduling an environmental scientist to start an investigation.

Mold investigations can be costly, at NOW Environmental, have a more cost effective method of determining mold growth and types for renters. For more information, follow  this link

Please please take a moment to read the following, and if you would still like one of our field techs to come to your residence please give us a call, we will be happy to help.


Mold issues in buildings are the result of water and moisture problems. Renters need to operate the heating and ventilation systems to reduce water condensation. Renters need to notify landlords promptly, in writing, of any water leaks or moisture problems. If there is a water leak or moisture problem, it should be fixed by the landlord. Your local building and code enforcement official may take action if building problems are not addressed – they won’t respond to mold complaints, so it’s important to stress the source of the water problem.

If you rent your home, you are covered by the Residential Landlord-Tenant Act. Understanding your rights and responsibilities as a renter can help you resolve problems. For informational recordings on residential landlord-tenant matters, call the Washington State Attorney General’s Office Consumer Line at 1-800-692-5082, option 8.


Landlords are responsible for maintaining rental units, including fixing building problems such as water leaks and ventilation or heating defects which may lead to moisture problems. Landlords must notify their tenants about the health hazards associated with exposure to indoor mold and ways to control mold growth in their dwelling units. Posting this information in a visible, public location at the dwelling unit property is allowed. The following materials can fulfill the notification requirements:

  • Mold – Print these frequently asked questions about mold. Available in English and Spanish.
  • Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home – EPA
  • Order free copies of this guide through the EPA website. Available in English (publication number: 402K02003) or Spanish (402K03008).

Resources for Resolving Problems

• Landlord-Tenant, State Attorney General’s Office

Tenant help resources, including legal advice.

• Northwest Justice Project

Free legal assistance and representation to low-income people.

• Solid Ground Tenant Services

Housing counseling services, best practices, and frequently asked question about landlord-tenant laws to help tenants understand their rights and responsibilities as a renter.

• Washington Law Help – Housing

Resources on tenant rights and landlord repair and maintenance responsibilities. Materials in multiple languages.

• Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Federal HUD rental housing contacts.

• Dispute Resolution Centers, Resolution Washington

Use a neutral third-party mediator to resolve conflicts. Mediation is faster, cheaper, and often more effective than going to court.